The Independent is seeking smart, creative assistant editors to join The Independent’s new platform. Responsibilities include producing high-impact daily journalism for the web, working with editors and outside authors on story ideas, and researching, writing, and reporting.
We’re looking for top-notch writing and reporting skills, a native understanding of the web and social media, an instinct for the stories that others are missing, and the ability to work with a team. Previous editorial experience is a plus.
- interviewing people in a range of different circumstances;
- building contacts to maintain a flow of news, for example, police and emergency services, local town councils, community groups, press officers from a variety of organisations, the general public, etc;
- seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media;
- attending press conferences and asking questions;
- attending a variety of events, such as council meetings, court proceedings, football matches, talent contests, etc;
- answering the phones on the news desk and reacting to breaking news stories;
- working closely with the news team, photographers and editors;
- recording interviews and meetings using shorthand or technical equipment;
- producing concise and accurate copy according to The Independent’s house style, and to strict deadlines;
- writing short ‘fillers’ to entertain, and researching and writing longer feature articles, sometimes for subsidiary publications and supplements;
- creating and uploading news content for theindependent.sg website;
- ‘live’ online reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events – a growing area of work, especially on national newspapers.
TISG is expanding! We are looking for talented editorial interns—next internship starts in October of 2013. Deadline for applications is September 15th.
TISG is an independent news publication that covers news, current affairs and analysis on Singapore. We are a newly formed online publication that has reached about 500,000 views in the first month of publication.
We are now gearing up to take our freshly minted news platform to the next level. We need your help to do that.
Our editorial interns are fully involved in the day to day news gathering, research and reporting. In a short time, you will learn how to cover breaking stories and learn a thing or two about investigative reporting.
We are looking for interns with exceptional writing and editing skills, sharp analytic skills, meticulous attention to detail and factual accuracy, and familiarity with WordPress and MS Word.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Editorial Internship” in the subject field.
Send your CV and samples with two references to email@example.com